Thursday, January 1, 2009

Recommended book for January

Leslie has assigned me the month of January to pick a book. For those of you who would like to read the book there will be a discussion held at the end of the month. This will also go towards your reading duels if you are participating.
The book I have chosen is "A Cofederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole.


Here is a brief synopsis of the book:
Meet Ignatius J. Reilly, the hero of John Kennedy Toole's tragicomic tale, A Confederacy of Dunces. This 30-year-old medievalist lives at home with his mother in New Orleans, pens his magnum opus on Big Chief writing pads he keeps hidden under his bed, and relays to anyone who will listen the traumatic experience he once had on a Greyhound Scenicruiser bound for Baton Rouge. ("Speeding along in that bus was like hurtling into the abyss.") But Ignatius's quiet life of tyrannizing his mother and writing his endless comparative history screeches to a halt when he is almost arrested by the overeager Patrolman Mancuso--who mistakes him for a vagrant--and then involved in a car accident with his tipsy mother behind the wheel. One thing leads to another, and before he knows it, Ignatius is out pounding the pavement in search of a job.

I hope some of you will participate and enjoy the book along with me.

3 comments:

L said...

Is this your first time reading this? It looks interesting. As I'm trying to make up a list, would it be considered children's lit?

Tanja said...

This is my first time reading this book. A friend loved it. It is adult fiction definitely. Just an FYI, you can get it at the library and it is not checked out Lula.

Tanja said...

I have read about 1/3 of this book and it does have some language I will warn you. Also, I am a mood reader and it is not equally what I am in the mood for. It is a interesting look at human nature and a whole bunch of dunces. You have to laugh at it because certainly no-one is that stupid.