Monday, January 5, 2009

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle


I posted my very strong opinions about this book on Goodreads, so some of you may have already read this, but I will give my opinions here as well so that I feel like I am contributing a little bit!!!


I absolutely HATED this book. It was Oprah's pick, so I thought I would give it a try, and I learned that I will never again read a book based on her recommendations. I went about halfway through the book before I even knew what the story was about, and even then was confused because it never seemed to move forward. It was totally drawn out- I honestly think about 300 pages could have easily been removed. Then, the ending was not only depressing, but left no real resolution to the plot that had been supposedly building since the beginning. Obviously, I would absolutely NOT recommend this book to anyone- it was such a complete waste of my time, I wish I had never started it (the only reason I kept reading it was because I thought it would surely get better- I was very, very, wrong).

2 comments:

L said...

Oprah said she felt as strongly about this one as she did To Kill a Mockingbird! Can you believe it? Who dares compare anything like that to one of the best books in the last 100 years? Only she that IS Oprah I guess.

It wasn't at the top of the bestseller list very long so I believe other's felt as you did, that it wasn't worth the price of her glorious endorsement.

Think I'll skip it.

Welcome aboard girlie!!

Tanja said...

Thanks for your review. I tend to never agree with Oprah. Who is she to tell me what is good or bad reading. I prefer to get recommendations from Authors and friends.