Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Writing Challenge - Love in six words?




I discovered this book the other day and thought it an interesting concept. Love in six precious words. Summing up a life long passion or trauma so succinctly may seem like an abomination, but it actually dates back to the 1920's, when Ernest Hemingway bet his colleagues that he could write a complete short story in just six words. The result,

"For Sale: Baby Shoes. Never Worn."
He reportedly called that his best work.
A few excerpts from Love and Heartbreak:
Our prison visitations were surprisingly romantic. - Larry Smith
People can't want what they want. - Dr. Drew Pinsky
Didn't realize I'd still be lonely. -Pamela Cash
My marital advice? Marry an orphan. - Kristina Wright
The challenge in honor of red February - Write your own six word memoir on love.
(Feel free to publish it here. Please, please with a cherry on top.)

11 comments:

Mandy said...

Love was definitely worth the wait.

L said...

Four words: I'm bringing home dinner.

Suzette Bradford said...

Yes Honey, I will do that.

That bugs you? Okay, I'll stop.

Children obeying first time they're asked.

Tanja said...

Lula will like this one- it is tragic.
She loves without having it returned.

My idea of love
gets up with the kids nightly.

Arguing with the fire of love

Unknown said...

oooo lets see.
just a little on the simple side...

+how did i get so lucky?
+how did you get so lucky?
+my heart is jittery and hyper.
+what? you worship me? that's perfect.

Suzette Bradford said...

A couple more:

You still make my heart jump.

I love you in cookie pants. (inspired by last week's episode of Scrubs).

Christina said...

Romance dies as true love begins.

Mandy said...

This is what I am thinking about when I can't go to sleep at night. Thanks a lot Lula :)

My hero! My killer of spiders.

Just one smile brings such joy.

A mother's arms are always open.

His laugh always makes me smile.

Tanja said...

Laughs with me, never at me.

L said...

A cut that refuses to heal.

L said...

Scratch that last one -
A cut that never truly heals.