Saturday, March 7, 2009

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

by JK Rowling
You don’t have to be a wizard or a kid to appreciate the spell cast by Harry Potter. For me returning to this series was like returning to a familiar pillow and blanket, a favorite dessert, or my favorite well-worn shoes: instantaneous comfort. What a joy this was to read again.

Because most everyone is as familiar with these three-dimensional characters and spooky scenes as they are the ingredients in One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi, I’m going to test your knowledge and walk through the book in question form. Only the most diligent kids; or I mean grown-ups may apply.

1. On what day of the week does our story begin?

2. How many presents did Dudley get for his eleventh birthday?

3. What country is the boa constrictor at the zoo from?

4. What day of the week was Harry’s eleventh birthday?

5. What did Hagrid cook for Harry when he first met him?

6. Name one course book first year students at Hogwarts will require.

7. What is Harry’s wand made from?

8. While waiting to board the train, what does George offer to send his mom from Hogwarts?

9. What kind of lumpily packaged sandwich does Ron unhappily unwrap on the train?

10. What is the first portrait password to get into Gryffindor tower?

11. What bone did Neville break while attempting to fly?

12. Who is the captain of the Gryffindor’s Quidditch team?

13. What game does Harry compare Quidditch to?

14. On what holiday does the troll appear?

15. What is the name of the three-headed dog guarding the trap-door?

16. What gifts did Harry receive for Christmas?

17. What does Dumbledore see when he looks in the Mirror of Erised?

18. How old was Nicholas Flamel?

19. What kind of dragon does Hagrid have? What’s its name?

20. How did Filch once punish wayward students?

21. Name the centaurs Harry meets in the forest.

22. What instrument do they use to put the three-headed dog asleep?

23. What position did Ron play on the chess board?

24. What flavor of bean did Dumbledore eat while visiting Harry in the hospital?

25. How many times have you read this book?
***
A delightful read that's worth revisiting often, even if I am a muggle. 4 Stars

8 comments:

Amanda said...

Since I gave my answers on the 5-Squared blog, I won't give anything away here. I still can't believe I got 4 wrong! Three of them were so close, too! I don't feel bad for not knowing the exact age of Flamel...

L said...

Seriously, I'm so proud of myself for stumping you! Only four though. Wow. Wait until the next one. Somehow I'll make it even harder.

Mandy said...

Okay, here are my guesses...
1. Tuesday
2. 36
3. Brazil
4. Tuesday
5. A birthday cake
6. Hogwarts a History
7. Phoenix tail
8. a toilet seat???
9. ??
10. ??
11. wrist??
12. Oliver Wood
13. basketball
14. Halloween
15. fluffy
16. a sweater, chocolate frog, invisibility cloak, a flute from Hagrid - that's all I remember...
17. a pair of socks
18. ??? 645???
19. Norbert, a Norwegian Ridgeback
20. hanging them by their thumbs???
21. ??? I can't remember!
22. the flute
23. a knight??
24. ear wax
25. this is only my second time reading it but I have listened to it multiple times in audio book form.

I loved re-reading this book. I love getting lost in the halls of Hogwarts!

Amanda said...

I don't think you need to make it much harder. This is probably the best HP quiz I've ever seen. It's certainly the first one that ever tripped me up!

L said...

I forgot #3 was actually a trick question. He's not technically from Brazil, as he wasn't born there. Where was he born???

Mandy said...

In captivity.

Stephanie said...

Bah. I was stumped on more of these than I care to admit. Time to hit the books again!

Tanja said...

he was born in captivity. I don't think I know more than three. Nice quiz. I need to read it with these questions in front of me.