Saturday, March 21, 2009

Who doesn't like Mr. Darcy in a wet shirt? Anyone?

Andrew Davies will probably go down in history as the man who had the epoch-makingly brilliant idea of putting Mr. Darcy into a wet and thus clingily transparent blouse.
Laura Carroll

I don't know about anybody else, but I think Mr. Darcy's hot, wet shirt or no. In the A&E Pride and Prejudice mini-series Colin Firth keeps the home fires burning if you know what I mean. He takes cute snobbery to a whole new level. So is that really what started the Austen frenzy of the last decade? Would she be as popular now if not for that particular movie? Does she have Andrew Davies to thank? Do we? Ah, yah..

Here's someone else who thinks so.

2 comments:

Mandy said...

Ha! That was funny! I always wonder about these things on youtube. Do people just sit around at home and come up with these things???

This mini series is what got me interested in Jane Austen so I do have them to thank. I love Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy. He is, and always will be, Mr. Darcy to me. Personally, I think he is the best Darcy out of all the other Darcies in the many other renditions of P&P.

Although, I now have a hard time getting that crazy sequined ouftit from the end of Mamma Mia out of my head when I see him now. :) But even in that crazy oufit, he is still my Mr. Darcy...swoon...

L said...

Me too with the Mamma mia outfit. Gosh that was funny. Oh well, we'll always have that mini-series!