Wednesday, April 1, 2009

April - National Poetry Month



I've been waiting for this for awhile. An excuse to talk about poetry, even if it's only by myself. April is National Poetry Month. Check out the American Academy of Poets website for more details here. A review of their synopsis:

Inaugurated by the Academy of American Poets in 1996, National Poetry Month is now held every April, when publishers, booksellers, literary organizations, libraries, schools and poets around the country band together to celebrate poetry and its vital place in American culture. Thousands of businesses and non-profit organizations participate through readings, festivals, book displays, workshops, and other events.

I'm going to participate in the Poem-a-day email, and will post them here for the entire month, along with any other favorites I can think of. I am also reading two poetry books, Final Harvest - Emily Dickinson's Poems and Custard and Company - Poems by Ogden Nash, both of which I will review and discuss at the end of the month.

I encourage anyone else to chose a poetry book for this month and review it here. There are a lot of fun ones out there. If anyone has a favorite poem, or one you've written yourself, please post away.
Otherwise, happy poetry reading!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I will let Jason know you're doing a poetry thing over here. He's a huge poetry fan. Dickinson is his favorite. Me - I don't touch poetry with a 10-foot pole. Yeah.

L said...

Great! The more the merrier I say. You're not the only one that doesn't want to touch it. Some people might want an even longer pole - but we'll take it in baby steps here. I'm but a fledgling myself.