Friday, June 25, 2010

The Convenient Marriage by Georgette Heyer


Ah, those hazy summer days. Sitting on my porch rocking chair with my bare foot dangling lazily over the arm rest whilst I rest peacefully over the other one. So relaxed my eyelids hover within centimeters of each other..

*snort*

If only that were true. More likely scenario, I'm grabbing a few pages here and there while stuffing my face with Doritos and rubbing the skin off my sunburned nose while absentmindedly sort of watching my kids play/pretend not to drown in the neighborhood pool.

But alas, sigh, it's still the perfect time to read me some Heyer. The funniest one I've read of her's so far, this one did not disappoint. Taking place when England was at war with the soon to be United States, all the classic Heyer is included - kidnapping, mistaken identity, more kissing than usual, her favorite word, odious, among others - she has the knack for entering just the right word at just the right time. My heart swooned as always at her dashing, unaffected hero, and I laughed out loud more than once at a group of bumbling goofballs who in the end are at least as funny as Bottom and his acting troupe from A Midsummer Night's Dream, and that's saying something..

Yet again, I can't help but wonder: why aren't any of her books made into movies??

I'd be first in line if they were.
Sigh..
A great romantic comedy to read while on those cement beach sides. Just make sure a lifeguard is present lest you get distracted by those throbbing loins...

4 stars

Be sure to check out Book Review Wednesday's!
CymLowell

10 comments:

Mandy said...

Sounds like a good one. I've been wondering what to read next. I think I might give this one a try. I need a good romance novel right now!

Anonymous said...

Whose loins are throbbing???

L said...

Definitely mine. Of course! ;D

You'd probably like this one Mandy.

Stephanie said...

Your first paragraph was heavenly. Poetry. Or, in my case, fantasy. Sigh.

Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephanie said...

Errr...Those deleted comments were mine. Note to self: you need not click submit multiple times -- your computer is just slow.

Suzette Bradford said...

I really need to read a Georgette Heyer. I'll probably see you sometime soon on that cement beach, or on my pretend rocking chair on my pretend covered patio with my pretend water fountain trickling in the background while I'm reading. Sigh and double sigh.

Unknown said...

I love Georgette Heyer! I too often wonder why there aren't any movies made out of her books! Haven't read this one...but my favourite so far is The Talisman Ring!

L said...

Ooooo, a water fountain. That's a good idea. Does water dripping out of the bottom of watered pots count I wonder..

And ooooo again, another Heyer recommendation?? I'm headed to the library for it yesterday I'm so excited!

Thanks for the comments everyone!