Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen


Looking for Salvation at the Dairy Queen by Susan Gregg Gilmore

I do love the southern stories. I love the characters and the things that happen because of their strong personalities. This one was a slight disappointment in that area.

The main character, Catherine Grace Cline, lives in Ringgold, Georgia and can’t wait to get out. I kept waiting for her to leave and get on with what she wanted in life. Her father is the town preacher and so the author uses some biblical stories and examples to tell her own story. The first half of the book was a little slow, but I just knew something interesting would happen. When something interesting did happen, I felt like the author rushed through the conflict and the resolution.

It seemed like a really long short story. I would have liked more character development and I know this sounds silly but I think the author should have built up the Dairy Queen premise a bit more in the beginning. It had a place in the end, but she could have done a little more with it in the beginning. This is Susan Gregg Gilmore’s first novel so maybe she’ll get a little better in time.
I give it a B- or C+.

1 comment:

L said...

Oh no, ice cream in the title couldn't carry this one through? Talk about brownie points! Ooo, brownies, ice cream. I'm hungry now...