Monday, August 31, 2009

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan


by Lisa See



This novel follows the life of 80-year-old Lily in 19th century China. It centers around her relationship with her Lao-Tung (best friend) Snow Flower and the circumstances of their lives since childhood. It includes their trials with foot binding, arranged marriages, the Taiping Rebellion, and the pressure to give birth to boys.

I LOVED this book and highly recommend it, especially if you are at all interested in Chinese culture and history. Lisa See is a captivating author, and I found myself unable to put this book down. She vividly described the lives of these girls in such a way that I could literally feel their pain and picture exactly what they were going through. Rarely do I find a book that grabs my attention from the first page all the way through the end, but this book accomplished it. 5 of 5- easily.

5 comments:

Heather G. said...

I've been wanting to expand my literature! This one looks great.

L said...

I just finished The Good Earth so I'm really curious about this one. Same time period and everything! Sounds like a good one.

TheBlackSheep said...

Sounds like a good book, but I'm not sure I'd make it past the foot binding bit. Even the thought sends chills up my spine. I do know a couple of people I'll be passing your recomendation on to though. Thanks for the review!

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I LOVED this book so much! I agreeeasily a 5/5!

Unknown said...

Oh yeah, I did give this 5 stars too. Loved this book!