Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Intimations of Austen by Jane Greensmith


Intimations. For the longest time I thought that said Imitations of Austen, which means to copy actions, appearance, etc., but the word, Intimations, well, it just sounds more English doesn't it? I almost travel back in time as it rolls off my tongue like liquid butter dripping off a hot muffin when I say it.

Intimations.

Sigh...

I'll admit, gulp - I had to look that one up. I suspected it held a similar meaning to its root, intimate, which means marked by close acquaintance or familiarity and that would perfectly describe how I believe the author feels about Jane Austen, but the word choice of intimation, I was happy to discover, brings Greensmith's ardor into even sharper focus.

Intimations of Austen by Jane Greensmith - A collection of short stories inspired by the words of Jane Austen. A hint, a glimmer. An inkling of Austen even. A whisper on a sun-drenched afternoon. These would've been perfect to read in summer, but winter it turns out was just as good. Better to drink it in with a hot, steaming beverage.

These stories are perfect for anyone who likes Austen even a tiny little bit. Perfect for anyone who has read these classics over and over again and wondered, what happened after the last word. Or even better, what happened before the first one! What made Frederick Wentworth return to Kellynch Hall in the first place? What if Elizabeth Bennet (holy cow gasp!) had married Col. Fitzwilliam instead of Mr. Darcy? What was going through Mr. Darcy's mind as he wrote that letter to Elizabeth after she'd rejected him? And the relationship between Mr. and Mrs. Bennet? Greensmith even tackled that one with a conclusion that brought a smile to my face.

Altogether a delight. And most importantly, she did not rehash the novels, a common complaint that drives me nuts with Austen fan fiction. All were very original and well written. But the highest praise I can give? After reading these, I had to watch and wanted to read Northanger Abbey and Persuasion again with a fervor.

So to that I say, a job well done then Greensmith.
4 stars

A special thanks to the author for sending me this book because my library had no copy. I'll pass it on to anyone who wants it.

CymLowell Also, be sure to check out Cym Lowell's Kindle giveaway on his Book Review Wednesdays! He always gives away the best stuff!

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Ooh-ooh! Me! Can I borrow it? This book sounds divine. And just perfect for curling up with on a cold, winter day (with chocolate, while neglecting household chores).

L said...

Oh yeah baby! I'm all about neglecting household chores!

TheBlackSheep said...

Sounds gôod! Thanks for the review.

Anonymous said...

I have the same complaint about the proliferation of Austenesque books as you do. I'll have to check this one out~

I love your blog's new look, btw!

L said...

Thanks for stopping by ladies! And yes, I finally succumbed and followed the crowd. Blogger has like no choices for templates, and I'm not computer literate enough to come up with my own, or maybe it's I don't have the time...
No, it's the first thing.

Check out this book. Good times.

Heather G. said...

So glad you enjoyed this one! I loved it! I wanted more!